Blog

 RSS Feed

  1. BARCLAYS BANK LTD.

    Most readers will know Barclays Bank in Station Road but few are old enough to recall 1917 and the London and Provincial Bank Ltd. which had a sub-agency by 1895. It was open on Mondays and Thursdays and the Manager was Raymond Clarke. Money could be drawn on Glyn Mills Bank.

    At their first meeting in 1895, the new Chingford Urban District Council appointed the Manager of the London and Provincial Bank Ltd. as Treasurer subject to no charge being made for keeping the account.

    In 1907 the Manager was Mr J.Barnes whose address was 24 Station Road. By 1914 the Bank also had branches in Highams Park and elsewhere in what,is now Waltham Forest.

    The Provincial Banking Corporation Ltd was formed in 1864 to take over Messrs. Day, Nicholson and Stone of Rochester and Chatham and the East of England Bank which had previously absorbed the Norfolk and Norwich Joint Stock Banking Co.

    In 1865 the Bank of Wales was taken into the Corporation. This bank had previously absorbed Messrs. Locke, Hulme & Co.of Pembroke and Messrs. James McLean & Co. of Pembroke Dock.

    In 1870 it was decided to reconstruct the company and to change the name to The London and Provincial Bank Ltd.

    In 1878 The North Kent Bank was taken over.

    Country clearing had always been conducted through the Bank's London agents Messrs. Glyn Mills Currie & Co. and in 1907 when the Metropolitan Clearing House was instituted, Messrs. Glyn Mills agreed to act there as well. In 1914, London and Provincial Bank Ltd obtained direct entry to the London Clearing House.

    In 1917, the London and South Western Bank Ltd. sought an amalgamation with the London and Provincial Bank Ltd to increase the number of local branches and the London Provincial and South Western Bank Ltd was formed. It is said that the change failed to meet objectives but paved the way for amalgamation with Barclays Bank.

    Barclays Bank was an amalgamation in 1896, of 20 private banks. In 1917 the name was changed from Barclay & Co. Ltd to Barclays Bank Ltd. In 1918, The London Provincial and South Western Bank Ltd was taken over.

    As a result of internet banking and online shopping, the need for banking services in the high street has reduced, resulting in the closure of this branch planned for 5th July 2020.

    STATION ROAD CO-OP

    Some readers will think of the South Midlands Group Food Store at No. 3 Station Road but in his memoirs Mr Leech recalls the Enfield Highway Co-op with food downstairs and clothing upstairs and many will remember that. However, the Co-op was built on the Tile House site (Extra No. 45) and development of that side of the road took place about 1935 and Richmond Road was planned about the same time so before then the Co-op was elsewhere.

    My earliest record is dated 1912 in a rate book but I have no other information. 1917 rate books place it at Nos. 15 and 17 and the stables and slaughter house at No.31. About 1927 Arthur Rumble had a regular Saturday morning job as a van-boy with the Co-op Society bakery roundsman working from the old slaughter house and stable premises adjoining the Methodist Church, obviously not the present building.

    In 1902 there was a slaughter house in Willow Street, later it was the composing room of E.G.Ellis, the printers.

    On 6th December, 1991, WFBC consulted the Society about the proposed demolition of the single storey milk depot at the rear of the Co-operative supermarket, 3-11, Station Road, which was, of course, within the Chingford Green Conservation Area.

    The application was by Enfield and St Albans Co-operative Society Ltd.

    The proposed demolition was for the whole building with the exception of the wall up to eaves level adjacent to No.2 Richmond Road.

    After discussions WFBC were advised that the Society had no objections to the demolition.

    THE POST OFFICE

    In 1896, Mr Stephen Pettit became sub-postmaster at his shop, No 55, Station Road. It was not much like a modern Post Office. 

    An advertisement in the Congregational Church. Magazine in 1896 states that Mr Pettit was Postmaster, Chingford Library, sold stationery, fancy goods, corn meal and flour and was agent for W.A.Gilbey wines and spirits. From 1890, annuities and life insurance could be effected in the post office. Mail was despatched from the office four times daily and delivered three times daily, except Saturdays. There was a despatch at 9.p.m. on Sundays. Parcels were despatched three times daily.

    When Mr Pettit became Postmaster, the old cottage post office and sorting shed ceased to function as such and a small building in Willow Street became the sorting office. About 1900 Mrs Pettit moved the sorting office from Willow Street to a site in Stanley Road behind the furniture shop of Mr Duck.

    During the first world war the Postmaster in Station Road was Mr Pidsley who had a considerable increase in work due to the presence of the Royal Naval Air Service aerodrome, (see Chingfliers, Chingboys and Chingford Aerodrome), the photographic section in White Hall and later the United States Air Force at Jubilee Retreat, (see Extra No.6) . All the mail from these sites was handled by Mr Pidsley and his staff, all of whom were conversant with the Morse Code.

    Further information on this subject can be obtained from 'Chingford's Post Office-as it was'.

    LONDON TRANSPORT BUS STATION

    For many years local buses terminated in the forecourt of the Royal Forest Hotel. Some of the services still operate with variations but early photographs show buses with some unexpected destinations.

    Waltham Forest Borough Council minutes for 20 April, 1965 show that it was proposed that a Bus Station be built. It was erected on the site of the railway coaling yard which was no longer needed when the line was electrified in 1960. A few steps connecting the bus station with the railway station were built.