St Peter and Paul Church

SS Peter & Paul Church has been a landmark on Chingford Green since its construction in 1844. With its dominant spire and striking yellow brick & black flint, the church was designed in a Gothic style by the architect, Lewis Vulliamy.

In 1840 the old parish church (All Saints) was in such a bad state of repair that the then Rector and Lord of the manor, the Rev’d Robert Boothby Heathcote, decided to abandon it and build a new church on Chingford Green. Designed by Lewis Vulliamy, it was built at the rector’s own expense and was dedicated by the Bishop of London on 18th July 1844.

Chingford was changing; the ‘pleasing rural village’ was becoming a major London suburb- a process accelerated by the coming of the railway in 1873. By the turn of the century, it had already become apparent that a bigger church was required, and Sir Arthur Blomfield drew up plans for an extended chancel and nave aisles, which were completed in 1903 and dedicated by the Bishop of St. Alban’s on 13th June.

The St. Elizabeth Chapel was built and completed in 1937, along with its east window by Christopher Webb, depicting the Virgin Mary, St. Elizabeth, and St. John the Baptist. It is more commonly known as the Lady Chapel.

The Church now contains a 12th-century font, 17th century iron-bound chest, 18th-century pulpit, a paten of 1698 and a flagon of 1705 which were transferred from the Old Church. In 1930 a collection of bells, plate and sepulchral monuments which had also been transferred were returned to the Old Church and a beautiful and recently restored 1907 Hill, Norman & Beard organ.

The Hall and Church are full of activity during the week with Youth Clubs, music rehearsals, scouts, rainbows, theatre groups, exercise classes, and more.

St Peter and Paul Church
St Peter and Paul Church Stained Glass Window


The oldest item in the church is a 12th century stone font used for baptisms.

Chingford Historical Society
Waltham Forest
HM Government
European Regional Development Fund