The Kings Head Pub appears on maps as early as 1782!
Being close to ‘The Green’, this local pub had strong connections with Chingford’s administration and law for generations.
The Kings Head, which gave its name to the long steep hill out of Low Street (now Sewardstone Road), had become the venue for manor courts and Vestry meetings and possibly a meeting place for law and order for many generations. It’s thought that the village stocks were near the King’s Head and the lock-up was erected opposite in 1815.
Chingford’s constables were seconded in from Waltham Abbey and had stabling at the Kings Head, so it was fitting to erect the police station next door to the pub in 1887.
In 1895, Philemon Lodge was one of the first Councillors of the new Chingford Urban District Council and served on the Assessment Committee. At one time he was at the Prince Albert PH in South Chingford.
The Welsh composer, Ivor Novello, who wrote ‘Keep the home fires burning’ was stationed at Chingford Aerodrome during the First World War and reputedly played the piano at the King’s Head for the benefit of the airmen.